Performing for Elders?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

Performing for Elders?

Postby erdnasephile » February 29th, 2024, 10:11 am

Although we talk nearly every week, I hadn't seen my Mom in person for a few months (I missed Christmas due to COVID). She was the person who drove me every week to the B & H School of Magic and always wants me to show her some magic when I visit. I gladly put together a small set and was looking forward to giving her something to brighten her day.
However, this time was different. I found out pretty quickly that she could no longer remember specific cards, particularly if there was more than one card being shown during a trick. Remembering initial conditions was tough, as was participating in a trick. When I realized this, I improvised into a very deliberate presentation of Vernon's "Twisting the Aces" which she was able to follow and really liked.
In reflection, I figured out that I not only failed to anticipate the way her cognitive abilities had changed, but that also I have not developed any skills to perform for elders. (all of my public performances for years have been for 20 and 30 year olds.) I've done many shows for kids and am well-aware of the need to tailor performances for them, but I have sadly neglected audiences at the other end of the age spectrum.
With that in mind, I thought I’d ask: What are your experiences in performing for seniors? What adjustments did you make and what specific techniques have you found effective? Are there any resources, written or otherwise, that you have found useful? What other suggestions do you have?
I feel like I have lost my best audience and am eager make that connection again in whatever way we can.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Re: Performing for Elders?

Postby Tarotist » February 29th, 2024, 6:02 pm

I have done many shows for seniors. However, it seems that you may be talking about close up magic and that is a different thing altogether. I imagine the best thing to do close up for that age group is something visual so they don't have to think too much. For stand up shows I think the ideal is to have lots of variety, audience participation should be with them seated in the audience and you should not get people of that age up to help you. The funnier you are the better. You can also make gentle fun of them because they will do the same to you. Classics of magic such as the Linking Rings, Egg Bag and so on are good material. It is absolutely not necessary to be "original". If people fall asleep during your show you should not take offence at it. They just want to sleep and at least they won't heckle you!

The best compliment I ever got from an entertainment booker at a seniors residence was "You are the best magician we have ever had here. You are nearer their age and a bit crusty----like they are!" Not something I would put on my promotional literature!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 2nd, 2024, 7:42 am

Thanks, Mr. Lewis!

DennisLisi
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby DennisLisi » March 6th, 2024, 11:16 am

I recently saw a performance by a magician at a rehab facility populated mostly by older folks. He did a bunch of lame card tricks, and a few visual effects such as The Die Box. Trying to get the participants to recall their cards proved difficult and therefore unimpressive. He did (to his credit) make an effort to memories everybody's name, and invite as many of the audience to join in as were able. But the combination of mediocre talent and general ennui resulted in a less than boffo sensation.

I would say that holding their attention depends on their unique incapacities. If they are hard of hearing, they are likely to appreciate strictly visual illusions. If their sight is impaired, engaging them in conversation is a good idea. Therefore, if you are playing to a diverse crowd, a variety of material, each with a different approach is probably best.

Bottom line--if you can amaze them with a single trick, they are likely to be grateful.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » March 6th, 2024, 2:38 pm

One of the most memorable moments I ever had doing a show at a senior's residence was when I finished my show and I was quite startled by an old lady standing up to give a little speech. She said, "Mr Lewis, I want to thank you for coming here to show us your magic. If you look around at the state of us you will see that we need some magic" And then she started crying and sat down. After I recovered I looked around and could see what she was getting at. Her fellow audience members did not look in good health at all with wheelchairs, walking sticks and unhealthy appearance with all the ailments of age. I was quite moved by the incident and have never forgotten it.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » March 7th, 2024, 11:51 am

I've found the Lorayne advice helpful - get them to show the card to a few other people. Plus stick to visual effects. Avoid Mutus Nomen.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » March 8th, 2024, 9:51 am

At a senior center I once made the mistake of doing a card effect, and used the premise (though not the effect) of Barrie Richardson's "Do You Want To Continue?" The script has the performer teasing the participant with something like, "Are you sure you'd like to continue....this trick is so powerful, you may not be able to sleep tonight." To which my elderly participant replied, "Oh, no, you better stop. I need to sleep tonight," and she turned around and went back to her chair.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”