Carnage - New Thought of Card Coincidence Effect

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
trickordie

Carnage - New Thought of Card Coincidence Effect

Postby trickordie » November 20th, 2023, 10:15 am

Hi,

I'm again sharing with the magic community, a new routine called Carnage.

For free of charge, as usual.

It's a thought of card, coincidence effect, in which the participants find their own cards in an impossible way.

There's two versions included, the first one is an impromptu version designed for a single participant.
The second one, Total Carnage, is a routine for 2 participants, with a super devious method added on top.

It uses the same principle found in a couple of effects, such as Geoff Williams' Devastation.

Send me an email at m@trickordie.com or PM me here, and I'll send you the link to the PDF.

I hope you guys like the effect :)

- M / Trick or Die

trickordie

Re: Carnage - New Thought of Card Coincidence Effect

Postby trickordie » November 20th, 2023, 12:41 pm

Here's a description of the performance of Total Carnage

The Magician shuffles the deck of cards, and then asks two spectators to take part in an experiment.

"I want both of you to think of a number between 1-10. It can be a totally random choice of a number, or alternatively you can choose a number that has some significance to you. Please don't tell any of us, which number you have chosen." The Magician instructs the participants.

The Magician continues: "But first, either one of you call stop when I riffle the cards with my thumb like this..."

The Magician riffles the corner of the deck with their thumb. One of the participants call stop. The Magician cuts the deck from that point.

"Great. Let me cut the deck from here. I want to make sure everything is completely fair and honest."

The Magician gives the cards fair cut and proceeds:

"Next, I will show both of you 10 cards each. I want both of you to remember the card that falls in the position of the number you're thinking of."

The Magician shows the first participant 10 cards one by one, taking them from the top of the deck, counting from 1 to 10 at the same time. The Magician then hands the packet of cards to that participant.

"You have a card in mind? I want you to shuffle the cards, so that nobody can know anything about the card you're thinking of." The Magician instructs the first participant and then turns to the second participant:

"Now it's your turn. Think of your number and make a note of the card that is in the position of your thought of number - when I show you the cards."

The Magician again shows 10 cards one by one, this time to the second spectator.

"You have a card in mind? Good. Now take these cards and mix them, so that nobody can know anything about your card either. When you have mixed your cards, I want you to give them to the first participant to shuffle both of your cards together, to further make what is about to happen completely impossible. Once you are satisfied with the shuffling let me take the cards back."

The Magician takes the packet of cards from the first participant and shuffles the deck together.

The Magician continues: "It is safe to say that no one knows the secret numbers you're both thinking of, nor the cards which you have in mind - am I correct?".

"Yes." Both participants reply.

"Great." The Magician comments and then hands the deck to the first participant.

"I want you to cut the deck somewhere in the middle and place the cut off portion of the cards to the table. And then let's mark the place you cut to by placing the rest of the cards on top, on a slight angle."

The Magician takes the remaining cards from the participant's hand and puts them on top of the pile of cards on the table.

"What if I told you that you cut to the card you're thinking of, that would be a miracle, would you agree?" The Magician asks.

The first participant nods in agreement.

"That would indeed be something impossible, but I want to take things further than that. I want this to be something completely unfathomable." The Magician says and continues:

"Take the pile of cards you cut to from the table. For the first time what is the secret number that you're thinking of? The number known only to you." The Magician asks.

"Seven." The first participant replies.

"Would it be more impossible if your card was seven cards down from the place you cut the cards? I want you to deal seven cards from the top onto the table." The Magician instructs the participant.

The first participant deals seven cards on to the table.

"What is the card that you're thinking of? Again, it is something that nobody else can know."

"The Queen of Hearts."

"Turn over the seventh card."

The card the first participant turns over is the Queen of Hearts.

The revelation is met with a stunned silence.

The Magician continues: "Some of you might brush this off as being just pure luck. And indeed, it would be very impressive luck if that was the case."

The Magician takes the half of the deck from the participant's hands and turns over to show few cards from the top: "If you would have cut even one card less or more, this wouldn't have worked."

The Magician then collects all the cards together and turns to the second spectator:

"If we can replicate this with you, I think it would be safe to assume, that luck cannot be the explanation nor the secret behind this curious coincidence."

"Let me mix the cards." The Magician says and shuffles the cards and gives them a cut.

The Magician hands the deck to the second participant and instructs: "Let's do this a little bit differently this time. I want you to start dealing the cards one by one face down on the table."

The participant starts dealing the cards in a pile onto the table.

The Magician continues at the same time: "I want you to trust your intuition. Keep dealing the cards. At some point you will feel like you have dealt enough cards, and you will want to stop. When you feel like it, please stop dealing the cards."

The participant deals few more cards onto the pile and then stops.

"Here? If you want to, you can add on some cards or take some away. Completely up to you."

The participant deals a few more cards to the pile.

"Great! Do you have any idea how many cards you dealt? This was purely based on intuition, right?"

The participant doesn't know how many cards they dealt.

"I want you to count the number of cards you have." The Magician instructs.

The participant counts the cards dealing them one by one on the table on a new pile.

"How many was that?" The Magician asks.

"Thirteen." participant replies.

"By pure intuition you ended up dealing 13 cards. If I told you that the card on the top, the 13th card is the card you're merely thinking of, I think that would be too good of a coincidence for it to be considered just pure luck." The Magician explains.

"But it gets even better... what is the secret number you're thinking of? For the first time tell us the secret number that nobody else knows." The Magician asks.

"Nine." The participant answers.

"What if I told you that your card isn't the 13th card you dealt to, but instead you managed to stop exactly 9 cards away from your card, that would be even more incredible, right?" The Magician asks while generating more suspense.

"Yes, that would be quite something." The participant agrees, while rest of the spectators nod their heads in agreement.

The Magician excitedly points to the packet of cards on the table: "Deal down to the 9th card. What is the card you're merely thinking of?"

"The King of Clubs." The participant says to everybody while dealing.

"Turn over the 9th card." The Magician instructs.

The participant turns over the 9th card and it is the King of Clubs. Silence fills up the room.

Dr. Solka
Favorite Magician: Willis Dysart, Willem Bouman, Werner Miller, James Solberg, Jan Forster

Postby Dr. Solka » November 21st, 2023, 9:27 am

Why you named your effect "carnage"?

trickordie

Postby trickordie » November 21st, 2023, 9:51 am

It was inspired by the name of Geoff Williams' effect Devastation.

Now that you have put it into question, I started to look deeper into the word Carnage, my interpretation of the words meaning, as a non-native English speaker, might have been too mild, compared to what it can also mean.

I understand that it can be maybe too insensitive during the times we live at the moment, I might need to change it.

Thanks for bringing this up.

trickordie

Postby trickordie » November 22nd, 2023, 1:30 pm

Few things said about the routine:

"It's a fabulous routine, very well-constructed and POWERFUL!"

"I like it. I agree that you cleaned up the process nicely and I think it is a strong effect."

"Carnage is ingenious with the presentation you put forward."

"The effect is impressive."

Return to “Close-Up Magic”