Do you perform the Four Burglars?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Marty Jacobs
Favorite Magician: Alex Elmsley

Do you perform the Four Burglars?

Postby Marty Jacobs » April 9th, 2024, 6:24 am

I've just finished writing an article on "The Four Burglars" (also known as "The Four Robbers") for my Ruseletter:

Easy Does It: Refined Robbers

Even though this classic card trick is well-known by the general public, I still think it is an entertaining piece of card magic. A few weeks ago, I stumbled across some videos on "The Four Burglars" by Paul Daniels, the famous television magician from the UK. He developed some interesting touches on the trick in an attempt to improve it (see video performance below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8oE7WmpK8s

In fact, this was the last video Paul uploaded to YouTube before his death in 2016.

In the article, I've expanded on some of Paul's ideas, which make it possible to perform "The Four Burglars" from a shuffled deck. As part of my Corrupting the Classics column, I also plan to write a follow-up article on ways to update this old chestnut. This article will include some of the more unusual variations of "The Four Burglars" published over the years.

So, my question for people here is this: Does anyone actually perform this trick? If so, do you use the traditional handling or some other variation?

Thanks,

Marty

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Re: Do you perform the Four Burglars?

Postby Tarotist » April 9th, 2024, 9:05 am

There is a Harry Lorayne trick I have been doing for years. I do not use the four burglars presentation but there is nothing to stop me if I wanted to. It actually IS the four burglars trick in disguise but nobody seems to have noticed! In fact I have been tempted to use the four burglars presentation but have been deterred somewhat because that premise is so well known to the public.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 9th, 2024, 12:07 pm

Laypeople love that premise.

The anthropomorphism of playing cards seems to resonate positively with real people. Cannibals. Twins. Marx Brothers. Hotel guests. And of course the cops and robbers.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » April 9th, 2024, 1:46 pm

A very good method to switch three of the burglars is by Leo Horowitz in Greater Magic, page 146, The Mystery of the Penthouse.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 10th, 2024, 2:59 pm

if you openly divide the deck into four packets with the ... and they put their hand on the top packet... pretty much an ace (okay Jack) assembly... so anyone gone further with the adventures of the burglars?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Close-Up Magic”