New Book, 2023: James J. Solberg “Improved Magic Square Methods and Tricks"

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Dr. Solka
Favorite Magician: Willis Dysart, Willem Bouman, Werner Miller, James Solberg, Jan Forster

New Book, 2023: James J. Solberg “Improved Magic Square Methods and Tricks"

Postby Dr. Solka » September 27th, 2023, 3:57 am

I present my review of James J. Solberg’s “Improved Magic Square Methods and Tricks,“ Sun Mountain Publications, 2023.
https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/impro ... berg-book/

I’m in Germany, and buying the book in Europe won’t be easy due to postage and customs. James Solberg kindly sent me a complimentary review copy of this new book.

The book is #4 of J. Solberg’s opus about magic squares, a series of new developments, and the state of the art in the world of magic squares. The term “Improved Methods” for the book title is fully justified. J. Solberg describes “rocket science“ while many magic squares’ performers until now ride bicycles. Magicians, please note the modern state of the art! The magic world has moved on.

“Improved Magic Square Methods and Tricks“ should be read first of the series. Every thought is full of wisdom, and one can notice that they were thought through several times and then written down as concentrate. Unfortunately, one comes to this point of view only after a long development process and not at the beginning.

The book is a good introduction to magic squares for magicians and keeps readers interested in the three volumes published so far. In my opinion, the first chapters of the new book should be at the beginning of a magic square study, not at the end. Every serious performer should read the chapters “Presentation “and “Tricks “and consider J. Solberg’s deep thoughts! Which approach is used to show a magic square
- savant,
- prediction,
- fortune teller,
- fate,
to name a few. What personality am I, and what tricks suit me?

Only then should one study Solberg’s break-through “Methods of order four and five” chapters. Then, if one has understood Solberg’s thoughts, I recommend going back and studying the first and second volumes in depth. Sooner or later, one will study all four volumes, again and again, constantly recognizing new facets.

The chapters on orders Eight and Six greatly interest an experienced performer.

I unreservedly recommend this book as a starter for anyone seriously interested in magic squares! Those who own the other three volumes do not need my recommendation to buy! They are in the know.

Hans-Christian Solka

Return to “Other Magic Publications”