David Copperfield History Book.

This forum is an ongoing, and evolving, discussion. Genii Forum members discuss opinions and trade notes on current and past magic books.
Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

David Copperfield History Book.

Postby Tarotist » March 1st, 2023, 10:30 pm

This book comes out in hard backed form. Well produced with colour photographs. However, I am quite astonished at the low price! A mere $5! That is the price in the Canadian (and American too for all I know) giant dollar store company Dollarama! I don't see how this can be a profitable proposition for the author since I am not sure $5 would even cover the printing costs. Of course this dollar store chain has multiple locations so perhaps the deal is low mark up but high volume.

I bet it isn't though...................

I have a suspicion that the book is no longer selling well thus the $5 price. I would have thought it would be a $25 to $30 book.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: David Copperfield History Book.

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2023, 12:19 pm

Like the majority of books, it has been marked down after being out for a while.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Postby AJM » March 2nd, 2023, 12:28 pm

Oddly enough, I’ve never managed to get hold of a copy.

:-)

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 2nd, 2023, 2:31 pm

I don't think the book has been out that long! Maybe I missed it. Anyway I think if you go into any Dollarama shop in Canada you will probably find it for sale. If Dollarama is in the US it will be there too. A mere $5!

I have just started reading it. I didn't expect much but I was wrong. It is a very good book indeed.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 4th, 2023, 8:25 am

I am quite enjoying this book particularly as it tells tales about magicians that we tend not to know so much about their careers. I am greatly amused at the reaction poor old Professor Hoffmann received after publishing his classic Modern Magic. The magicians of the day were horrified at the supposed exposure contained in the work and the angry comments were hilarious. Here are a few:
"Hoffman deserves to be hanged"
"The world will be full of magicians as the Jersey coast is of mosquitos"
"It would have been well if Hoffman had died in his mother's womb" (this last one was written by the dean of the SAM who also stated that the book should be burnt)

The mind boggles as to what these critics would think if they could see You Tube and other internet exposure today! I suspect they would die of heart failure!

Anyway, I really like the book. I found the Dell o Dell segment very interesting since although I had heard of her didn't know much about her.
This is really a gem of a book selling nowadays for a mere $5 (a travesty of a price--almost an insult). Get hold of it if you can. Just walk into any Dollarama store is your best bet and it should be there somewhere.

AJM

Postby AJM » March 4th, 2023, 8:54 am

Now after a thorough search on t’internet, I see Amazon UK are selling this for the princely sum of twenty pounds, so it seems the deep discount hasn’t found it’s way to this side of the pond.

Hardly surprising, given that over here we tend to pay at least four times as much for everything.

(One also has to be very specific with one’s internet query over here lest you wish to know about a book by a fellow by the name of Dickens or the guy that used to be a member of the Three of a Kind comedy trio with Lenny Henry and Tracey Ullman.)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/three_of_a_kind/

Andrew

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 4th, 2023, 12:44 pm

20 Pounds is actually a more realistic price for this book. I don't have the book to hand so can't say how many pages there are but it is a good substantial book. High quality paper and well produced with lots of colour photos. And a hard backed book. I suspect the $5 deal is exclusive to Dollarama. Incidentally, after reading this link it seems obvious to me that Dollarama is exclusively a Canadian operation. There is no mention of US Dollarama outlets. A refreshing change because normally Canadians have to pay a lot more for books than Americans do! So $5 (Canadian currency too!) is a real bargain!

https://www.dollarama.com/en-CA/corp/about-us

McKitterick

Postby McKitterick » March 4th, 2023, 1:53 pm

Sounds as though Copperfield's History of Magic has been remaindered:

https://www.9thstreetbooks.com/remainder-marks/
https://medium.com/flint-and-steel/how-do-publishers-afford-dollar-store-books-82eb02bd68c3

In which case I would be surprised if it wasn't available in dollar stores south of the border for a buck U.S. (or at least closer to that than five dollars Canadian).

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 4th, 2023, 2:48 pm

McKitterick wrote:Sounds as though Copperfield's History of Magic has been remaindered:

https://www.9thstreetbooks.com/remainder-marks/
https://medium.com/flint-and-steel/how-do-publishers-afford-dollar-store-books-82eb02bd68c3

In which case I would be surprised if it wasn't available in dollar stores south of the border for a buck U.S. (or at least closer to that than five dollars Canadian).

Very informative. Thank you.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » March 5th, 2023, 2:29 am

Amazon now has this at just $14 (list price of $35):
https://www.amazon.com/David-Copperfields-History-Magic-Copperfield/dp/1982112913/
It is an excellent book, well researched and written and beautifully produced. The Barnes and Noble edition includes and extra chapter about Orson Welles, but is only reduced to $29.95:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/david-copperfields-history-of-magic-david-copperfield/1013620821
Tarotist, does your Dollarama copy include the Orson Welles chapter?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 5th, 2023, 7:38 am

It's at $7.98 here: https://www.daedalusbooks.com/D23158.html (according to their site, if you sign up for the email list they will give you 10% your first order) I think free shipping starts at $59. I believe these are remaindered copies.

Wal-Mart also has it new at the same Amazon price of $14

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » March 5th, 2023, 12:41 pm

I am not happy with Daedalus.
I bought extra copies of the Copperfield book in two separate orders. The first order was shorted in quantity, now reconciled. The second batch arrived with damaged dust jackets. That's the fault of reckless packing. Book Outlet was more professional with shipping. (https://bookoutlet.com/)

And you probably figured out that I am a fan of "David Copperfield's History of Magic." It's a great book for your collection.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 5th, 2023, 3:12 pm

Richard Hatch wrote:Amazon now has this at just $14 (list price of $35):
https://www.amazon.com/David-Copperfields-History-Magic-Copperfield/dp/1982112913/
It is an excellent book, well researched and written and beautifully produced. The Barnes and Noble edition includes and extra chapter about Orson Welles, but is only reduced to $29.95:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/david-copperfields-history-of-magic-david-copperfield/1013620821
Tarotist, does your Dollarama copy include the Orson Welles chapter?

No Orson Welles chapter.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » March 5th, 2023, 3:59 pm

David is a fine fine performer who has rightly earned his place in the history books and this book has clearly had a lot of effort out into it but it was doomed from the start- whilst his vegas shows sell well he hasn’t had any meaningful mainstream media exposure or high profile tours for more than 20 years and so “his” book was never going to be more than a curio that could never trouble the bestseller lists in 2022.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » March 5th, 2023, 6:10 pm

Tom Moore wrote:David is a fine fine performer who has rightly earned his place in the history books and this book has clearly had a lot of effort out into it but it was doomed from the start- whilst his vegas shows sell well he hasn’t had any meaningful mainstream media exposure or high profile tours for more than 20 years and so “his” book was never going to be more than a curio that could never trouble the bestseller lists in 2022.

That's a pretty tough measuring stick. Surely there's room for success somewhere on the spectrum between the bestseller list and "doomed"?

Having the leftovers sold off as remainders is part of the lifecycle of most new books from major publishers.

He published a decent book, and in a quantity that will make it available to lots and lots of people as it continues to circulate via libraries and used bookstores. That seems like a win to me.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 5th, 2023, 9:28 pm

In my capacity as a psychic reverend I have been in touch with a Mr Charles Dickens who is at present residing in the spirit world. He seems to be smirking away and chortling with delight over the apparently poor sales of the Copperfield book. Mr Dickens has informed me that he used to be an amateur magician and wishes to inform Mr Kotkin that his own book "DAVID COPPERFIELD" from which the name was outrageously purloined is still selling rather well after 173 years while Mr Kotkin's recent publication seems to have lasted a mere 18 months or so. He muttered something about the law of Karma.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 5th, 2023, 9:59 pm

[quote="Doug Thornton"]I am not happy with Daedalus.
I bought extra copies of the Copperfield book in two separate orders. The first order was shorted in quantity, now reconciled. The second batch arrived with damaged dust jackets. That's the fault of reckless packing. Book Outlet was more professional with shipping. (https://bookoutlet.com/)

Thanks for the tip--that's horrible to hear and sorry it happened to you. On-line businesses that take my money and don't pack well are a huge pet peeve of mine.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » March 6th, 2023, 4:08 am

Ted M wrote:
Tom Moore wrote:David is a fine fine performer who has rightly earned his place in the history books and this book has clearly had a lot of effort out into it but it was doomed from the start- whilst his vegas shows sell well he hasn’t had any meaningful mainstream media exposure or high profile tours for more than 20 years and so “his” book was never going to be more than a curio that could never trouble the bestseller lists in 2022.

That's a pretty tough measuring stick. Surely there's room for success somewhere on the spectrum between the bestseller list and "doomed"?

Having the leftovers sold off as remainders is part of the lifecycle of most new books from major publishers.

He published a decent book, and in a quantity that will make it available to lots and lots of people as it continues to circulate via libraries and used bookstores. That seems like a win to me.

I am by no means calling it a failure on any moral level - a good book has been published, high quality archive photos have been taken of important props and I’m quite sure further insights into their history were made during the research process. From a business / book publishing point of view though a mass market book with a celeb name on it (and the associated costs that brings) is destined to be a financial failure unless it does hit the bestsellers list and make it to reprint or Softback release.

thomasmoorecreative

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 6th, 2023, 6:29 am

I hope Mark Wilson kept a handle on the rights to his course of magic which still seems to be in print having gone through endless editions, even miniature ones.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 6th, 2023, 8:14 am

Tom Moore wrote:
Ted M wrote:

I am by no means calling it a failure on any moral level - a good book has been published, high quality archive photos have been taken of important props and I’m quite sure further insights into their history were made during the research process. From a business / book publishing point of view though a mass market book with a celeb name on it (and the associated costs that brings) is destined to be a financial failure unless it does hit the bestsellers list and make it to reprint or Softback release.

You both make interesting points.

The fact that a high-quality book for the public got published is a great achievement, but even amongst magic enthusiasts, the market for magic history books is relatively small, so it might've been even a tougher sell to the public.

That said, a number of Jim Steinmeyer's mass market magic history books have made it to softcover, so I wonder if Mr. Copperfield's book sold enough to make it. (or is going to softcover something that is already predetermined?)

Finally, just curious: does anyone know what the all-time best selling magic book for the public is?

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 6th, 2023, 12:51 pm

I don't know which specific book but I suspect the author who has sold the most magic books to the public was Walter Gibson.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » March 6th, 2023, 1:55 pm

Tarotist wrote:I don't know which specific book but I suspect the author who has sold the most magic books to the public was Walter Gibson.

You may be right. As well as books under his own name, he ghost-wrote more than several for other magicians.

I also suspect he has a place in any list of the most prolific authors ever. And with a bigger variety of titles and topics than most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_B._Gibson

AJM

Postby AJM » March 6th, 2023, 2:21 pm

I ghost write a wide range of bestselling fiction including, but not limited to, the entire Jack Reacher and Miss Marple series’.

Lee Child (Jim Grant) can’t string two words together for the life of him. And dear Agatha was a bit too fond of the old Mother’s Ruin.

Just don’t say I told you…

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » March 6th, 2023, 5:19 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
Tom Moore wrote:
Ted M wrote:

You both make interesting points.

The fact that a high-quality book for the public got published is a great achievement, but even amongst magic enthusiasts, the market for magic history books is relatively small, so it might've been even a tougher sell to the public.

That said, a number of Jim Steinmeyer's mass market magic history books have made it to softcover, so I wonder if Mr. Copperfield's book sold enough to make it. (or is going to softcover something that is already predetermined?)

Finally, just curious: does anyone know what the all-time best selling magic book for the public is?

It has to be the mark wilson book surely - it’s been available for 48 years in all its formats. Whilst no one single release will have done especially well the sheer number of units over nearly half a century must dwarf any other magic publication?

thomasmoorecreative

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 6th, 2023, 5:22 pm

Leo Garet wrote:
Tarotist wrote:I don't know which specific book but I suspect the author who has sold the most magic books to the public was Walter Gibson.

You may be right. As well as books under his own name, he ghost-wrote more than several for other magicians.

I also suspect he has a place in any list of the most prolific authors ever. And with a bigger variety of titles and topics than most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_B._Gibson

How interesting! I had no idea he invented nickels to dimes! Mind you I am a bit puzzled by the statement that he was the one who first brought the Chinese Linking Rings to America. I would have thought that was around way before he was. Still perhaps not........

I do know of course about all his books on psychic subjects. In fact I think I own one or two.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 6th, 2023, 6:28 pm

Tom Moore wrote:It has to be the mark wilson book surely - it’s been available for 48 years in all its formats. Whilst no one single release will have done especially well the sheer number of units over nearly half a century must dwarf any other magic publication?

I always thought that Walter Gibson wrote The Mark Wilson Course. If not he, then who?

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 6th, 2023, 7:30 pm

I should have had a look at the MW Course before my post above. Walter Gibson is listed as co-author, though there are a number of contributing authors. My guess would be that Gibson did the majority, if not all of, the writing or re-writing. I suspect that those listed as contributing authors had tricks and ideas that were written into shape by Gibson.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » March 6th, 2023, 7:31 pm

If we're guessing, I'll guess The Great Houdini by Beryl Williams and Samuel Epstein. Originally published in 1950, it was eventually picked up by Scholastic and at some point was mass-marketed as a cheap paperback to millions of kids in schools via the Weekly Reader. By May 1970 it had reached 13 printings, and I bought and read my copy via the Weekly Reader nearly a decade later in 1979.

ABE Books lists 155 copies available today, compared to 264 for the Mark Wilson course. I think those numbers strongly favor The Great Houdini for publication volume, since it was a cheap disposable paperback, whereas the Wilson book is a nice hardcover -- a far, far lower percentage of the paperback would be expected to survive.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 6th, 2023, 7:52 pm

The Mark Wilson course was farmed out to many different people who happened to be living in Los Angeles at the time. David Roth, Earl Nelson, and many others wrote chapters.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » March 6th, 2023, 8:50 pm

Tarotist wrote:...How interesting! I had no idea he [Walter Gibson] invented nickels to dimes!...

The mere mention of nickels to dimes makes me nostalgic. It was the first pocket trick I ever owned. I got it when my parents took me to the magic shop in Brooklyn on my 6th birthday. It would be the first of many magic shops and tricks. It's an excellent trick. Nobody ever dreamed it was done with a shell that looked like 3 nickels stacked one atop the other and only one real nickel. And back then, the apparatus was made quite well, so that someone could examine it carefully after the transformation, and even shake it vigorously, without a clue of where those "nickels" could have gone. It's the trick I have always recommended to parents when they've asked me what to get for their budding young magician offspring.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » March 6th, 2023, 10:41 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if the Royal Road to Card Magic is the best selling magic book of all time to the public. It is still selling steadily after 73 years. That ain't bad going you know.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » March 6th, 2023, 11:08 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Finally, just curious: does anyone know what the all-time best selling magic book for the public is?

It must be the Wilson book.
But how can you quantify it anymore?
The Wilson book has been in hardcover, softcover, Kindle and what I think is the first edition - a comb bound 1975 version in a faux leather(plastic) binder.
Mr. Copperfield’s book(surely not a contender for all-time yet but is currently more highly ranked in Amazon than the Wilson course) is available in hardcover, Kindle, Apple and audiobook.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 7th, 2023, 2:47 am

It's nice to be ranked high in any bestseller list, like the recent Spite, by a former working-royal, already selling in many places at reduced prices and will likely be remaindered off at $5 before long.

A famous songwriter/singer whose name I don't recall said that the real money comes from repackaging and rereleasing the same songs over and over, as a single, in an album, in other people's albums, in different formats, vinyl, CD, downloads, royalties, etc., for as long as you can.

Return to “Book of The Month Club”