Are Children more Imaginative than Adults?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
erdnasephile

Are Children more Imaginative than Adults?

Postby erdnasephile » December 1st, 2023, 3:46 pm

Food for thought:

I've heard magicians talk about "childlike imagination" in their presentations, but is it true that children are more imaginative than adults?

This article from WSJ claims the science says, "No!"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/par ... r-AA1kRcFF

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Are Children more Imaginative than Adults?

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 1st, 2023, 6:32 pm

I get what is being said here. After all, while it was a child, Calvin, who brought a stuffed tiger, Hobbes, to life, it was an adult who created the comic strip. The Harry Potter series was conceived and written by an adult. However, it seems to me, that Professor Shtulman also is conflating desire and memories with imagination. Yes, having more memories to call on might help with the imaginative process, but I believe those things--memories and creativity--are still mutually exclusive. The same can be said for desires. The imagination starts in our childhood and, as we grow, like any discipline, develops as we age. Comparing them is, I think, folly. My daydreams are far different today from what they were 50 and 60-something years ago. What they have in common is a certain level of impossibility.

TerryTerrell
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby TerryTerrell » December 2nd, 2023, 8:39 am

I agree Dustin.

Children are more imaginative because they aren't hindered by having to act like an adult. They are free to look and act as silly as they choose.

Adults cannot because they think it would make them look somehow less than adult. Adults worry more about others opinions than children do. Adults do get to revert back to childhood when they get on the floor to play cars with their kids, get an invitation to play tea party, build the pillow fort, etc.

LOVE the Calvin & Hobbes reference. Those strips are timeless.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » December 2nd, 2023, 10:45 am

Interesting. I'd argue we are all highly creative - we all dream, don't we? It's more about what we do with that creativity - do we encourage or supress it?

DennisLisi
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby DennisLisi » December 2nd, 2023, 12:51 pm

A question that begs an answer too deep to sit still for. In other words, just my type.

When contemplating The Unknown, the first thing a researcher needs to do is define his terms.

What is imagination? How can we distinguish it from other thoughts? It is certainly possible for a memory to qualify as a "vision" or a reverie.

And what do we mean by creativity? Is it the deliberate invention of novel ideas, or can we include the accidental production of bizarre nightmares and silly nonsense that come from naivete--the inability to understand practical reality?

One could say that cluelessness leads to creativity, as it makes us gullible, more likely to believe in things that are fantastical.

But I know a lot of adults that have that tendency, so distinguishing between grown-ups and children is (or ought to be) beside the point.

The simpler the mind, the more it tends to accept irrational concepts. The more complex, the more sceptical and practical as a general rule.

magicam

Postby magicam » December 2nd, 2023, 1:49 pm

[edit: I now see Dennis' query]

erdnasephile in part wrote: I've heard magicians talk about "childlike imagination" in their presentations, but is it true that children are more imaginative than adults?

I've been out of performance magic for decades, so maybe it's ignorance (it usually is!), but what do magicians mean by "childlike imagination"? I don't recall that phrase in magic parlance, but am under the impression that "childlike wonder" is commonly used, to describe the fundamental, unadulterated awe of seeing a miracle. A simple, joyful appreciation befitting a child's reaction. It's an often-enough stated goal of magicians to see their adult spectators react with childlike wonder.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » December 2nd, 2023, 4:05 pm

I suspect that children do have stronger imaginations than adults. However, since this is a magic group I don't think it is important from a performance point of view. As a children's entertainer for many years I have found their imagination or lack thereof of very little importance. The key is to make them laugh! Too many magicians try to instill "wonder" in the kids and I merely wonder why..................

Return to “General”