The Magic Rainbow

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Sebastian B
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon/René Lavand

The Magic Rainbow

Postby Sebastian B » July 17th, 2023, 8:36 am

I decided to spend this summer reading the wonderful book: The Magic Rainbow by Juan Tamariz. What a wonderful experience that has proven to be. I was particularly intrigued by Mr Tamariz thoughts about magic and symbolism, fascinating writing about why certain effects in magic has become classics and how those effects appeal to spectators in a symbolystic way, even though that appeal happens on a subconscious level. Very fascinating and thought provoking. The Magic Rainbow is a book that forces me to think about magic in a different way. It is a book that you have to invest time in, but i have a wonderful time doing that.

I am curious what magic related books members of this forum are reading? Have you read The Magic Rainbow? Whats your thoughts?

Edward Pungot

Re: The Magic Rainbow

Postby Edward Pungot » July 17th, 2023, 9:32 am

Approach the trilogy in reverse.
For the sense.

Then do a second reading going forward.
For the detail.

Sebastian B

Postby Sebastian B » July 17th, 2023, 9:44 am

Edward Pungot wrote:Approach the trilogy in reverse.
For the sense.

Then do a second reading going forward.
For the detail.

Hi Edward,
I am sorry if i am being a bit thick, but i dont understand your post, is it possible to clarify. :)

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » July 17th, 2023, 9:57 am

I don’t know what the hell I’m talking about either. Read Tamariz’s trilogy. Then read it again.

Sebastian B

Postby Sebastian B » July 17th, 2023, 10:24 am

:lol:
Edward Pungot wrote:I don’t know what the hell I’m talking about either. Read Tamariz’s trilogy. Then read it again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That is excellent advice! I have read both Sonata and The Magic Way, excellent books.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » July 17th, 2023, 10:28 am

Don’t forget The Five Points.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » July 17th, 2023, 11:13 am

Sebastian B wrote:
I am curious what magic related books members of this forum are reading?

I am currently reading Parallax from Squash Publishing and enjoying the hell out of it. I hadn't thought of it before, but Mr. Minch's comparison of Max Maven to Ambrose Bierce is right on the money.
The most difficult part is taking my time and savoring each essay instead of devouring the book in one sitting.
Whether you agree with everything Max says or not he makes you think.

Anyway, it's nice just to hear his voice again.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » July 17th, 2023, 3:48 pm

I am reading Strong Magic, by Darwin Ortiz. The writing is exceptionally clear, articulate, logical, and colorful, and the ideas are profoundly insightful and thought-provoking. Darwin sees magic as a dramatic art form, noting that "It is concerned with considerations of theme, characterization, conflict, plotting, story line, clarity, atmosphere, and dramatic structure," and noting further that, "These are the same considerations that are central to all narrative arts: film, theater, fiction, and storytelling."

Unlike the vast majority of magic-related publications, Strong Magic focuses on creativity, showmanship and human psychology and emotions. There are some striking parallels between Darwin's and Juan's approaches to and ways of thinking about magic.

There are so many words of wisdom and important concepts in the book that it would be impossible to even begin to summarize them here. Here are a couple (among many possible) worth mentioning:

On "Challenge" Magic
"A good magic performance is a cooperative venture, not a competitive one. The audience should actually be your allies in fooling them. A key to achieving this partnership with the audience is avoiding any sense of challenge in your presentation. The late Fred Robinson was fond of quoting Fred Kaps to the effect that, 'There is no place for challenge in professional magic.' I would go further and say that there is no place for challenge in good magic. The performer who challenges his audience to figure out how the tricks are done is reinforcing the win-lose model…You must, however, make it clear by your attitude that you're challenging yourself to succeed under impossible conditions; you're not challenging the audience to catch you."

On the Difference Between the Perspective of Lay People and Magicians
An interesting difference between performing for magicians and performing for laypeople is that, if a magician succeeds in figuring out ninety percent of a trick but can't figure out the other ten percent, he will feel that the trick fooled him; if a layperson succeeds in figuring out ten percent of a trick but can't figure out the other ninety percent of the trick, he will feel that it didn't fool him. The magician will think, 'I know how he controlled my card to the top of the deck and I saw him palm the card. But I don't know how he got it between those two plastic sheets that were taped together on all sides. He really fooled me.' The layperson will think,'He didn't fool me; I saw him palm the card.' This attitude on the part of lay audiences frustrates some magicians who are inclined to respond. 'Yeah, but how did I locate your card in the first place, and how did I get it between the plastic sheets?' The layperson's response will be something like, 'Oh, you got it in there somehow. But you didn't fool me; I saw the card in your hand.'"

This book is the proverbial embarrassment of riches. I would highly recommend Strong Magic to anyone interested in heightening the impact of their magical performances. It is very likely to significantly change the way you think and approach the performance of magic.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » July 17th, 2023, 9:46 pm

I am actually very impressed with Strong Magic which is a bit of a miracle since I am a bit of a misery when I read theory books most of which are filled with utter nonsense. For example I think that awful book by Henning Nelms should be publicly burned. I don't even like that "Maximum Entertainment" book that everybody raves about. I like good writing and it IS good writing so I can't complain about that. I merely find the content wanting and I regard 50% of it to be flawed reasoning. Perhaps I am cynical because the author hasn't performed professionally for about 30 years and somehow the tone of the book grates with my well known sensitive nature. .

However, I rather like the Strong Magic book except for the advice on hecklers which I think is somewhat flawed. Still, the rest of the book is great and I think should be read by anyone who does close up magic. I know the main criticism of the book is that the author doesn't practice what he preaches but I don't give a stuff about that since I am more interested in the preaching than the practicing. It really is a very, very good book even though for some odd reason the publisher himself made very rude remarks about his own book! I can't remember the publishers name though. Still, I am sure it will come to me.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » July 18th, 2023, 3:48 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:if a magician succeeds in figuring out ninety percent of a trick but can't figure out the other ten percent, he will feel that the trick fooled him; if a layperson succeeds in figuring out ten percent of a trick but can't figure out the other ninety percent of the trick, he will feel that it didn't fool him
I read Strong Magic many years ago, and of all the things that I got from it that is the one that has always stuck in my mind

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » July 18th, 2023, 4:50 am

Tarotist wrote:I am actually very impressed with Strong Magic which is a bit of a miracle since I am a bit of a misery when I read theory books most of which are filled with utter nonsense...I can't remember the publishers name though...

Published by: Kaufman and Company, 1994.

Edited by: Richard Kaufman, Matthew Field, and Mark Phillips.

Reviewed in Genii, July 1994.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » July 18th, 2023, 5:17 am

PS A beautifully written forward by Juan, himself.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » July 18th, 2023, 2:13 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Published by: Kaufman and Company, 1994.

Edited by: Richard Kaufman, Matthew Field, and Mark Phillips.
I acquired my copy directly from RK, as a direct swap for a Tenyo item that was no longer available. I was very pleased with the outcome of that "trade", and I assume that Richard was too.

Return to “General”