Guest invitation to the Magic Castle, September 2023

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Tremblay

Guest invitation to the Magic Castle, September 2023

Postby Richard Tremblay » March 13th, 2023, 4:51 pm

There is a good chance that I will be in Los Angeles the week of September 3, 2023 and I would love the chance to visit the Magic Castle. There would be two of us.

What is the best way to get an invitation?

Thanks.

Richard

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Guest invitation to the Magic Castle, September 2023

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 13th, 2023, 4:58 pm

Do you subscribe to Genii? Subscribers can get in once a year, just call. Your subscription will be verified and then you can make your reservations. Members of the SAM and IBM can also get in based on their membership. Get that reservation soon.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » March 13th, 2023, 4:59 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:Do you subscribe to Genii? Subscribers can get in once a year, just call. Your subscription will be verified and then you can make your reservations. Members of the SAM and IBM can also get in based on their membership. Get that reservation soon.

Thanks. May I bring someone else with me?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 13th, 2023, 5:05 pm

Of course. Ask the reservationist what your limit is; I want to say it's four (total) but don't quote me.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 13th, 2023, 7:51 pm

It is my understanding that the Genii subscriber makes a reservation at the Castle, and then the Castle contacts the Genii Office to verify the subscriber. Or has that changed?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » March 14th, 2023, 9:28 am

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 14th, 2023, 10:38 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:It is my understanding that the Genii subscriber makes a reservation at the Castle, and then the Castle contacts the Genii Office to verify the subscriber. Or has that changed?

Yes, that's correct. I should have said "and then you can use your reservation" or something along those lines. The subscriber need only call the Castle reservation line once. (323-851-3313)

TSW114
Favorite Magician: Michael Ammar

Postby TSW114 » April 25th, 2023, 9:16 pm

Can confirm. You call the res line, tell them about your scrip, they hang up, they call the mag, verify, and then they call you right back and you make your reservation. Do it early. I did it like 5 weeks in advance, and tried to switch it to another day about 2 weeks later, and the whole week was booked, except for my original reservation. So I ended up not changing it, and went last night for the first time ever. Once in a lifetime opportunity. As an east coaster who has only been to cali twice (including right now, for a week for work) it was the chance of a lifetime, and not only didnt disappoint, it exceeded what I could have even imagined.

I’d fly out here again, JUST to go again.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » April 26th, 2023, 3:46 pm

I may well be down in Los Angeles myself during the month of August. I may well grace them with my presence if I have time.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » April 30th, 2023, 6:29 am

You've expressed my feelings to the letter.

'Framing' is fine - but there's a difference between pattering whilst actually DOING something; and framing simply by standing there talking, as if you are giving a lecture.

For many years, I've performed the Torn & Restored Cigarette Paper (still possibly my favourite trick) as my opener - visual and also sets the scene better than waffle. I'd have the packet in my hand and have an audience member remove one within my opening introduction. Visual is often better than audible - you need to crack on (particularly working tables where you are with an audience for a limited time anyway).

Another thing I always do, is to have a pack of cards loose in my outer jacket pocket. Removing/replacing cards from/into a card case (or God forbid some card guard, or strange-looking leather contraption clipped to a trouser belt!) is just additional time-wasting and faffing about in my book.

Maybe it's just a UK thing, as (particularly younger) people these days appear to have very limited attention spans.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 30th, 2023, 8:02 am

Anything can be made interesting if it involves the audience or something important to the audience. For example, you tell them you are going to explain how to cheat at cards so they can go and cheat their friends. Or you will tell their fortune. A lot of magic relegates the audience to watching and not participating. Jerry Seinfeld's definition of magic: Here's a coin. Now it's gone. You're an idiot.

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » April 30th, 2023, 11:13 am

Long introductory patter isn’t my cup of tea. By all means, draw me into the trick, set an emotional hook, but get on with it.

Whenever I see a magician thoughtfully walk to the center stage, hold his tented fingers to his lips, pause, and say; “I’d like to take you… (excruciatingly longer pause) on a journey…” I’m glad I sat at the back.
I get it. The prop cost a lot and it only does one thing, so you need to get ten minutes out of it.

Mike Rogers said magicians joked about his introduction of the props in his Cups & Balls routine being almost as long as the routine itself. But it was all interesting bits and tricks, wand through cup, cup through cup…

Years ago, a local magician decided ‘help’ me while I was working by doing a four ace trick for my crowd. I could see their eyes glaze over as he explained. “The ace of diamonds represents money or wealth, the ace of hearts represents…”
Please beat me to death when you get to the club.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » April 30th, 2023, 12:16 pm

PressureFan wrote:Please beat me to death when you get to the club.

... and then you can bury my corpse with the spade.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 1st, 2023, 11:25 am

Please stay on topic.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”