Luis Olmedo Is On the Cover of the June 2024 Genii

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Luis Olmedo Is On the Cover of the June 2024 Genii

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 20th, 2024, 2:36 pm

Subscribe to Genii today for as little as $35—your subscription lets you visit the world-famous Magic Castle in Hollywood, California. http://www.geniimagazine.com

The performance of coin magic is generally not an emotionally moving experience but, when Luis Olmedo appeared at FISM 2022 in Quebec, you could sense a feeling move through the large room. His quiet manner, the music, and of course the leaves … specifically autumn leaves. He is a magician of uncommon discipline and ability, no matter the props, but in this case his act consisted of a Coin Assembly done on a diagonal instead of a square. The leaves changed to cards, magic gently ensued as the coins mysterously relocated as if pushed by a ghostly hand, and the cards returned to leaves, then carried away by the wind. Considering the enormous stage and room in which this was performed, Luis managed to create a remarkable feeling of intimacy. He deservedly tied for first place in Close-Up Magic. When not performing magic he’s an athlete—no awkward school day stories for this kid. And—good for him—his act did not depend on anything that can’t be done in close-up circumstances for real spectators sitting at the table with him. His story is told in part narrative, part interview, by Roberto Mansilla.

And we have our usual sterling line-up of columnists this month, including John Bannon, who, in “Dealing With It” explains “HofScotch,” which most cleverly fixes “The Hofzinser Ace Problem.” Krystyn Lambert muses on pursuing your passion in “Stage as Studio.” Jim Steinmeyer has created the ultimate routine based around the game of Clue in “Conjuring.” Jamy Ian Swiss presents another remarkable routine in “Magicana,” and this month it’s Adam Elbaum’s “Visible Deck.” In “WWPD” Jonathan Friedman exhibits strange behavior with those leftover center bits—the detritus from a Linking Card routine. David Regal renews his license to perform magic in this month’s “Material Concessions.” Jon Racherbaumer reclines while reading a mind in “Exhumations.” If its in the news it’s in “The Eye,” courtesy of Vanessa Armstrong, and if it’s happening at The Magic Castle you can read all about it through the eyes of Shawn McMaster in “Knights at The Magic Castle.” Tom Frame, Tom Dobrowolski, and Bill Wellls review books, tricks, and videos in “Light from the Lamp” to complete the issue and propel you properly into your summer reading.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Re: Luis Olmedo Is On the Cover of the June 2024 Genii

Postby Bill Mullins » May 21st, 2024, 2:12 pm

Theres a line in this issue of Genii (p. 67), "The Library Bar (which, at the time, was still called The W. C. Fields Bar)".

Why was the name changed? "The W. C. Fields Bar" has a much better ring to it.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 21st, 2024, 3:13 pm

They returned all of the WC Fields memorabilia that was on loan there. That area now has nice comfy chairs and book shelves. Plus it is across from the William W. Larsen Memorial Library.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 21st, 2024, 3:56 pm

Thanks. I remember the Fields items that were in there, but I didn't know that they were borrowed. Without them, the name doesn't make as much sense.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 21st, 2024, 5:52 pm

Certainly. And if you care to get really deep into the weeds of the bar's history, when it was first installed it was called the "Hello Dolly Bar." The reason is that the bar top comes from a set piece used in that film.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » May 23rd, 2024, 10:41 am

One minor correction...I'm Tom Dobrowolski... "Tom Frame, Mike Dobrowolski, and Bill Wellls review books, tricks, and videos in “Light from the Lamp” to complete the issue and propel you properly into your summer reading."

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 24th, 2024, 3:32 pm

Tom Dobrowolski wrote:One minor correction...I'm Tom Dobrowolski... "Tom Frame, Mike Dobrowolski, and Bill Wellls review books, tricks, and videos in “Light from the Lamp” to complete the issue and propel you properly into your summer reading."

Are you sure?
Hey, at least it's correct in the magazine! :)
(It is fixed here. I'm quite certain RK is sorry this happened; his mind is elsewhere.)

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » May 25th, 2024, 12:00 am

Dustin Stinett wrote:
Tom Dobrowolski wrote:One minor correction...I'm Tom Dobrowolski... "Tom Frame, Mike Dobrowolski, and Bill Wellls review books, tricks, and videos in “Light from the Lamp” to complete the issue and propel you properly into your summer reading."

Are you sure?
Hey, at least it's correct in the magazine! :)
(It is fixed here. I'm quite certain RK is sorry this happened; his mind is elsewhere.)

No worries at all. Made me wonder for a minute if I had it wrong myself all these years. :-) Glad to be a small part of Genii!

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » May 25th, 2024, 8:16 pm

I have been informed that there is a mention of my CGT appearance in Genii magazine but until now I have known nothing about it. Is this true and if it is which issue is it in? Or is my informant confusing the alleged blurb with the information on this forum?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 25th, 2024, 9:19 pm

Tarotist wrote:I have been informed that there is a mention of my CGT appearance in Genii magazine but until now I have known nothing about it. Is this true and if it is which issue is it in? Or is my informant confusing the alleged blurb with the information on this forum?

You appear in the June 2024 issue, in the news section (called "The Eye") written by Vanessa Armstrong. Email me at dstinett13[at]gmail[dot]com and I will send you a pdf of the page.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » May 26th, 2024, 7:16 am

Thank you kindly. I will do that. Incidentally I don't think you have seen the follow up video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRlHF02_6Ts

Return to “Buzz”